I am in love with practicing handstand.
Here are some building blocks to increasing your strength, core stability and balance in this super fun upside-down pose:
Step 1: Hovering cat
- Start on all 4’s, arms straight, gaze forward, heels brushing the wall
- Inhale, and as you exhale, sink your ribcage towards the mat
- Balance the sinking ribs by pulling in strongly with your abs
- Lift your knees 3 inches from the mat, hold and breathe
Step 2: Half Handstand at the Wall
- Start in hovering cat, then place one foot up on the wall behind your bum
- Straighten that leg and bring your other leg up so your feet are side by side
- Continue staring at that spot in between your hands and holding
- Keep your fingers super wide and grip the mat with your finger-pads
Play with Half Handstand Split by lifting one leg at a time. Keep core so strong.
To kick up to handstand:
- Start facing the wall, then sink ribs like before
- Pull in abs strongly
- Stare at your “drishti point” (an un-moving spot in front of you – usually at the baseboard)
- Extend one leg long behind you, then bend deeply into your grounded leg before springing up to the wall
Play around here, building up strength by hovering for a few seconds away from the wall, and resting heels and/or butt on the wall .
Have fun and let me know how it goes!